Why?

Because all experiences are valuable.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Servin' some Surimi



OMG! I did almost nothing today. I slept till noon, then made crab pasta salad. Then I spent hours on the internet and then took Reid to see "the Other Guys."

So...hmmm...here is what I am currently reading. John Leguizamo's autobiography, Pimps, Hos, Playa Hatas, and my other Hollywood Friends. This is really very interesting. I always enjoy his acting. But it isn't as good as Sean Astin's autobiography, There and Back Again. I even got Reid to read that one.  I am also finishing up The Pathway, a self-help method to honoring one's own emotional needs and yet establishing healthy limits for oneself. An excellent book! Just started reading Living Successfully with Screwed Up People which seems very insightful at first perusal. And I have started reading Tarzan again for the probably fifteenth time. I did some research on Edgar Rice Burroughs. I want to do a post on him soon.

 So this is pasta salad. It isn't even made with real crab. It is a surimi fish product usually called imitation crab meat. I really enjoy surimi. It is made of all white fish, it is relatively cheap, it is tasty, and it is healthy. Sometimes I make this salad with a very high proportion of fish to pasta, and sometimes the other way around. Today I used whole wheat pasta spirals. Mini bowties are terribly cute, too. I use olive oil mayonnaise, and only about two tablespoons for the whole batch. I don't really like mayonnaise, but it is necessary for some things. I suppose it is only oil, vinegar and eggs. I'm just not a mayo fan.

Let's see. Also in there are one small bag of frozen corn, cooked, and one small bag of frozen peas, also cooked. As much or as little of the imitation crab as you like. I guess this batch had about a pound.  One half of a Vidalia onion, diced fine. If you have to use a white or Spanish onion, use a lot less. But Vidalia is the best! I usually use a whole red bell pepper diced, but I didn't have one today. Then the mayo, fresh ground black pepper, salt to taste, a tablespoon of lemon juice....Very important is this seasoning I use. Picture to the left. The main flavors are lemon, dill, and garlic, so I'm sure it could be approximated.



 Also very important are these two ingredients. Use a hot sauce that has a lot of flavor, but not a lot of heat. Spicy doesn't go with the seafood seasoning. And about 1.5 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, white or regular.  Things you can add are a bit of coined baby carrots or diced zucchini. Do not add green bell pepper or cucumber, really, trust me. ;-)

Then I like to serve on croissants. I pull them open like a little shell, not cutting with a knife, and not really separating the halves, just making a shell. Looks cute with the seafood, eh?

Enjoy your Sunday! I'll let you know if anything interesting happens here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my gracious that looks good. I replied to your comment, but not sure if it went through. I am an area called IXL which is close to Okemah. I'm 20 miles south of Bristow. A lot of my family came from Arkansas, Atkins mainly. I talk a lot about them on OklaHome. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you that I'm so glad we met.

    ReplyDelete